Friday, June 13, 2008

Just plug it in

Well I moved into a new apartment a couple weeks ago and last night I set up my stereo. I also ordered a new TV because right now I'm stuck with a little 19" LCD that's all the way across the room and I really need something bigger. While shopping online I saw all these bundle deals for TVs that come with a DVD player and installation service and they give you a discount for it. Now it's nice that they have sales like that, but I already have a DVD player and I can set up a TV myself, but I was sort of interested in seeing how much they would charge for the installation if someone were to get it. To my surprise, the cost of installation of a TV was $200!! How could it cost that much? You plug in the power, plug some cords in the back and you're ready to go. Takes 10 minutes, and even though you are getting a discount, the installation cost kinda cancels out a good chunk of that. I do realize that some people are behind in the times and might not know some things, but seriously, it really isn't that hard. They have everything color coded so you know which wire to plug in where, and the input name is right by the plugs so you know what to set your TV to.

Now there are installation fees I understand. I just had my cable service installed and the guy had to set up some stuff in the main phone room in the building, then test out my connections with some voltage meters and such, all of which I don't know how to do. Then again, the installation was free. Hmmm. Also, if you're rich and want some kind of home stereo system set up. You know, they kind where you have speakers in each room and outside, all connected to a central stereo? Yeah, I don't have all the equipment to do all that, and even if I did it's just something you want done by professionals because any mistakes that are made could be costly. I can even understand bringing in your computer to a retailer to get it fixed, although it really bothers me how much they charge for things as simple as wiping your hard drive and reloading the operating system. Computers aren't all that straightforward sometimes, and while I always fix mine myself, there are people who don't know how to save a file without help, trust me, I've met more than one.

But back to TV setup. It's not really even installation, it's putting the TV where you want it, plugging in a few cords, maybe turning it on and showing you what each input goes to, and thats it. Not worth $200, I wouldn't pay more than $20 for that, unless it's a big TV and there are lots of stairs to climb, then maybe I'd go so high as $40. Needless to say, I didn't get installation for my new TV, and delivery is free. Little do they know I live on the third floor and the stairs have some pretty narrow turns, it's not gonna be fun carrying a 56" TV up that, glad I don't have to do it.

No comments: